So I’ve been tagged by Mark Smith to talk about the Five Things I Dig About Jesus. Below are the five things that I *currently* dig about Jesus, although these may change as I continue to grow and my beliefs continue to be formed by friends, experience, scripture and other sources.
- Jesus cared for the marginalized, the estranged, the outcasts and the sinners. While that doesn’t mean that Jesus did not care for those who were wealthy and had power, it does mean that we consistently see Jesus caring for and in the presence of those who many in Christendom today attempt to keep out of the church.
- As a patient reminded me today, Jesus did not complicate things. He made it very simple: Love God and love your neighbor. If you do that, you’re fulfilling the law.
- He’s constantly engaging in the act of subversion, of challenging the status quos and norms.
- Jesus didn’t speak in propositions, for the most part. He told stories – stories that often didn’t make sense, and caused one to perpetually be engaged in paradigm shifts.
- Jesus modeled a life that was constantly seeking after the will and kingdom of God – if we only were able to follow in his example in the most minuscule ways, think of what could happen…