- In about 25 words each, answer the following five questions.
- Tag five presbyterian bloggers and send them a note to let them know they were tagged.
- Be sure to link to this original post.
- Leave a comment or send a trackback to this post so others can find you.
1) What is your favorite faith-based hymn, song or chorus?
To say that I’m a sucker for Irish ballads and hymns that could also double as drinking-songs is an understatement. So, currently I think my favorite faith-based him would be “The Canticle of the Turning” (you can hear the tune here). It’s got a great melody and some wonderful lyrics about looking toward the future of the kingdom of God and being aware that “the world is about to turn.”
2) What was the context, content and/or topic of the last sermon that truly touched, convicted, inspired, challenged, comforted and/or otherwise moved you?
Well, this summer it’s just been Sarah and I preaching, and while I think we’ve both done a good job there, I can’t remember much from either of our sermons. Last week we did hear a very good sermon by Will Scott, an Associate Pastor at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. You can listen to it here. The sermon was on the persistent Canaanite woman and her ability to show Jesus how to live up to the kingdom that he was proclaiming. My favorite line from the sermon was “even Jesus needs a little help.”
3) If you could have all Presbyterians read just one of your previous posts, what would it be and why?
I’m bad at picking just ONE post, and I really wasn’t sure which one to put here. But these are a few that address some issues that we need to be thinking about. The first is “Fencing in the Table” (with a similar one entitled “Epiclesis Necessitates Open Table“) ad the second is entitled “Can Presbyterians Be Co-Creators?”
4) What are three PC(USA) flavored blogs you read on a regular basis?
- A Wee Blether by Adam Copeland: a good friend from my days at Columbia Seminary and he’s got a great blog (he’s even a CC Blogger!)
- Serendipity by Sarah Walker Cleaveland: she’s my wife. And when she does blog, it’s great. But…don’t hold your breath (but do add her to your RSS feed – you won’t be disappointed).
- Presbymergent by so many cool Presbyterian folk.
5) If the PC(USA) were a movie, what would it be and why?
Bruce(!), I’m really bad at these types of questions. My answer for the “If the PC(USA) were an animal…” was totally unoriginal, so I don’t have much hope for my answer on this one. So I guess I’ll open this one up to readers here – what do you think?