So I went to log into my Wamu bank online banking today and realized that the switchover had occurred. I was now going to be a Chase.com Online Banker. After putting in my username/password and clicking a few agreements, I was greeted with a screen that said, “Same Service. Great Benefits. Stronger than ever.”
Beneath that image was a LONG page filled with screenshots and examples of “You USED to do it this way on Wamu, now, this is how you do it on Chase.”
And then I clicked through to their Online Banking. And within minutes, I was ready to switch banks.
Chase.com has an absolutely HORRIBLE online banking website. It’s hard to navigate, the user interface is extremely confusing…it took me 2-3 minutes and way more clicks than necessary to transfer funds between accounts. I noticed myself getting actually angry at the website because it was so frustrating. I decided to see if I was the only one. And found page after page of other frustrated users. Some examples of the tweets are below:
- Wamu.com actually had a pretty great interface for viewing bank accounts. In contrast, Chase.com totally stinks. It’s cumbersome & annoying. (@ericabiz)
- I wish in acquiring WAMU, Chase hired their web team. Chase.com is atrocious!!!!! #usabilityFAIL (@jwilker)
- Wamu Online Banking > Chase Online Banking (@soadman)
- wow, thank you Chase, you took WaMu’s perfectly great online banking and f’d it up by switching to your shoddy system… #fail (@CountXero)
- Why can’t chase make their website look more like their iphone app? It hurts my eyes, I want my wamu dashboard back! (@parabuzzle)
The frustrating thing is that they actually have an iPhone App that’s fairly decent. Why DIDN’T they hire Wamu’s web design team? It doesn’t take a lot of online experience, design sense or otherwise to figure out that Wamu’s Online Banking system was SO much easier to navigate and use. If you’re going to take over a bank – why not at least use what’s GOOD that they have to offer? Why not realize where they DID get it right?
I don’t even want to think about dealing with switching banks – but for the amount of banking I do online – it’s pretty frustrating to have to deal with such an inferior online banking system. Anyone else switch over from Wamu to Chase and find Chase’s online banking an extremely poor experience?