Just a quick update on the job, since a few people have been asking. I “officially” started on Labor Day, although my work that day consisted of sitting ouside in 70-80 degree weather at a beautiful home in Livermore, at a BBQ/pool party for the junior high and high school youth. It was great to get to know some of the students in the program, and a few of the guys pushed me in the pool at the end (I had my swimsuit on) – so I think that means I’ve been accepted.
Today was my first day “in the office” and it was pretty rough, let me tell you:
- 8.30-9.15am: I drove from Oakland to Livermore, while listening to a great This American Life podcast, “Got You Pegged.“
- 9.15-10am: I met with the pastor, figuring out some scheduling questions
- 10.00-noon: Staff Meeting, followed by Worship planning
- Noon – 12:30pm: I met with the Children’s Ministry Director to get a tour of the youth room(s) (I get to choose new carpet/flooring and repaint the high school and middle school rooms….fun!)
- 12.30-2.00pm: Went out for Chinese food with the pastor to talk over some more details
- 2.00-3.00pm: Worked on my new office, tried to think about what IKEA furniture I want to go buy and what a good IKEA corner desk would be (any suggestions?)
- 3.00-5.30pm: Hung out at Panama Bay Coffee Co and got some work done (decided to try out EasyTask Manager – because you can use their Online Sync to sync todos between multiple computers (my MacBook and office PC) and my iPhone)
- 5.30-6.00pm: Went back to church to print up a few things
- 6.00-7.45pm: Hung out with 6 college students who grew up at Asbury and got a chance to learn some about their experiences both in the youth ministry and what it’s been like for them at college – great time with really good food!
- 7.45-8.15pm: Swung by the church, met the District Superintendent and sat in on the Staff Parish Relations Committee for a few minutes
- 8.30-9.15pm: Drove home, finished up my podcast and rocked out to Mates of State
Anyway – I don’t know if all my days will be as rough as this, but….I’d say it was a pretty good start to the new job. One of my first priorities will be getting my office in order – so, hopefully some work on that tomorrow. I’ll get some before and after photos for sure.
The first two days have been great and I’ve really been enjoying connecting with the youth, their parents and the staff of the church. So, I put in about 12 hours today, but it certainly felt a lot more enjoyable than an 8hr shift on my feet at the Apple Store.